So, I’ve been feeling guilty cause I don’t post here as much as I used to.  Some of that is probably because of facebook/twitter catching a lot of my random thoughts.  But, there’s still plenty of stuff to write about here in longform.

What’s the best way to write a long blog post?  To just start rambling, of course!

So…  life has been pretty good lately, if maybe a little hectic.  I guess the biggest thing thats happened to me in the past few days is that I had an upper GI endoscopy  (aka – camera down your throat).  Now, I wasn’t very keen on this whole idea.  But, I had been having some trouble swallowing and my family had convinced me that I needed to have it checked out.  So, that meant endoscopy.

As mentioned, I wasn’t excited about the idea.  Mostly, I just didn’t like the mental idea of having a tube down my throat.  However, my doc was a pretty nice guy and he assured me that I would be well and truly knocked out for the whole thing.  I didn’t realize that they totally knocked you out for it, so, that relaxed me some and I went ahead and scheduled it.

So, the day arrives.  Mandy and I got to trade roles….  she got to be the one sitting around waiting on ME to have a medical procedure.  Having experienced both now, I can’t say for sure which one I prefer, the waiting or the procedure-ing.  They both kinda stink.

Everything went pretty well….   EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THE DOCTOR LIED TO ME.  I totally was aware of what was going on during the procedure.  I got to experience having a camera shoved down my throat.  It was really weird though.  My thought process was something like this:

AAAAHHHH!!   THERE”S A TUBE BEING CRAMMED DOWN MY THROAT!!  I’M GAGGING SOO BAD!  THIS IS AWFUL!!…..      ….    Oh well, I think I’ll go back to sleep.

It was really, really strange.  Part of me knew that what I was feeling was terrible….  yet most of me didn’t care.  I could hear the nurse lady in the room telling me I was doing “really good”.  And then I would just kinda drift back in and out of sleep.  I’m not sure if they had to double dose me or what, but, it took me quite a while to come out of it.  I was pretty much out of it for about 4 hours and still a bit groggy the rest of the evening.  I felt better the next day.

The results of the test showed that I have a Schatzki ring in my esophagus, which was what had been causing my difficulty swallowing.  So, during the endoscopy, they performed a dilation as well.  I suspect that is when I was actually waking up during the procedure.  It gave me a bit of a sore throat the next day, but, for the most part recovery was pretty easy.

The kids have been pretty good lately.  Tyler has been going to preschool two days a week and he really enjoys it.  He gets to play with new kids and do a lot of different activities.  He really like learning how to write new words and he’s gotten really into drawing lately too.  Logan hasn’t changed as much.  His favorite form of entertainment is still tormenting Tyler, which he excels at.  I expect Logan will grow up to be a psychologist cause he’s already an expert in human behavior… well, at least Tyler’s.  He can push his buttons effortlessly.

For his part,  a trait of Tyler’s personality that has been coming out lately is that he really likes animals.  He says he wants to be a veterinarian when he grows up.  He seems to really like animals.  Not just dogs but really about anything.  Fish, birds, squirrels, bugs….   he likes talking about all of them.

Ok well…   there’s an update on me!  Thanks for reading!


One response to “Ramblings

  • Tiffany @ Snapshots of Life

    Andrew was out of it most of the day when he had his endoscopy. It really was a hoot watching him wake up and not remember what had happened earlier. He kept asking the same questions over and over. I think the hardest part for him was getting the IV! 🙂 I am glad they figured out what was causing your problem and took care of it. Hopefully your family will be done with medical procedures for a while!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: